Friday, September 8, 2017

Second Place

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Mark 1:1-8


TO CHEW ON: After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.” John the Baptist - Mark 1:7

You may have been to a concert where a little-known band or singer played first to get people in a good mood. Then later, the famous person came on stage to sing or play.

John the Baptist, the son of Elizabeth and Zechariah, was like that warm-up band. At first people flocked to the desert just to see him. Wouldn’t you be curious about a preacher who lived out in the wild, dressed in camel’s skin, and ate locusts and honey?

"John Preaching" - Unknown Artist"John Preaching" - Unknown Artist

But if people came first out of curiosity, they came again to hear what John had to say. His preaching made them sorry for their sins. It made them feel like getting right with God. When they said they were sorry and decided to follow God (they repented), John baptized them in the Jordan River. Probably some of them thought he was Messiah, God’s special messenger.

"After me will come One more powerful than I." - Unknown Artist
"After me will come One more powerful than I." - Unknown Artist

But John knew his job was to prepare the people for Messiah. He quickly told them, “‘After me will come one more powerful than I.’” He didn’t mind that he wasn’t the most important.

PRAYER: Dear God, help me to be willing to take second place if that’s where You want me. Amen.


SUPERSIZE IT: Locust-and-Honey Special!
- Find out about locusts:
1. What family of insects do they belong to?
2. How big is a locust?
3. How would you cook it, or would you eat it uncooked?
4. How many locusts would it take to make a meal?
5. What food group does it belong to?


- Find out about honey:
1. Where does honey come from?
2. What is special about it?
3. What food group does it belong to?





Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Adult readers - DAILY DEVOTIONS FOR ADULTS  are available too at Other Food: daily devo's.  


2 comments:

MK @ Teach Sunday School said...

You are such a gem! I think that you create some of the most interesting Bible lessons, and my children's ministry students feel the same way. Any time I'm stumped on what type of lesson to do next, I pop over to your blog and see what types of things you're up to. I know that I'll either get inspired to write my own lesson or have a wonderful lesson to fall back on if inspiration doesn't hit. Thanks for sharing!

Violet N. said...

Why thank you MK! I'm so glad you're finding them useful and fun. And thanks so much for telling me.