Friday, September 22, 2017

God's Addition

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Matthew 6:26-34

TO CHEW ON: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

George Mueller
George Mueller

Jesus taught how we can trust God to take care of all our needs. The British man George Mueller (1805 to 1898) showed by his life what it is like to trust God for everything.

Mr. Mueller had only two shillings in his pocket when God brought a couple of orphans to his church. Even though he had little money, he knew that he couldn’t turn them away. In the months that followed, more and more children came. With them came the need for many things - coal to warm the house, beds and blankets, clothes and food.

Because George Mueller believed God would take care of all his needs, he didn’t borrow or ask people to give money to the orphanage. Instead, he just prayed about things.

Sometimes his bank account had nothing in it and the cupboards were bare. When there was no food, the children said grace over empty plates. Several times the food arrived just then - in time for the meal. The hundreds of children who lived in his orphanage over 60 years never missed a meal. Mr. Mueller proved that God can give us all the things we need.

PRAYER: Dear God, help me to trust You to supply the things I need. Amen.


SUPERSIZE IT: First things First
God promises to supply our needs when we put Him first (“seek first His kingdom”) and live in a right way (“seek his righteousness”). Choose the things below that do that:

1. Mom has given me lunch money, but I use most of it to buy baseball cards from a friend.

2. I tithe (take one tenth and give it to church or Sunday School) my allowance, even though if I didn’t I’d have enough to buy the skateboard I’ve been saving for.

3. I pack up old clothes and games to give away to the second-hand store.

4. I take a job delivering papers on Sunday even though it means I have to miss church.

5. I help my elderly neighbor walk her dog even though she doesn’t pay me.


ANSWERS


Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Adult readers - DAILY DEVOTIONS FOR ADULTS  are available too at Other Food: daily devo's

No comments: