TO CHEW ON: "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:6-9
Moses knew that after forty years of wandering in the desert, it was finally time for the Israelites to go into Canaan. But Moses wouldn’t be leading them. Because it was also time for him to die.
He gathered the people together to hear his last words. We can still read them today. They are the book of Deuteronomy.
|Moses speaks to the people - Paul Hardy|
Some of these people probably couldn’t read. So how would they know and remember what God had said? Moses told them how. What three things could the people do to help them remember and pass on God’s words? (Deuteronomy 6:6-9):
If the people did what Moses said, they would be reminded of God all day long. Could we also be doing some of these things to help us remember God?
PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to think of You often, to learn what pleases You, and then to do it. Amen.
MORE: Bible Verse Flash GameWhat you need: 10 index cards, Bible, pen.
What you do:
1. Write ten Bible verses, one on each card. Write the verse and reference on one side. Write only the reference on the other side. Choose ten favorite verses of yours, or write out the eight memory verses we've learned so far in Bible Drive-Thru plus two more, or look up and copy these:
John 3:16; Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23; Matthew 11:28; John 10:14; Ephesians 2:10; Proverbs 16:3; Joshua 1:8; Jeremiah 23:29; Hebrews 4:12
2. Memorize each verse with its reference.
3. Play games with the cards
* Use the cards to test yourself. Show only the reference side and see if you can remember which verse it goes with and then recite it.
* Use the cards with one other person. Have that person hold up the reference and you say the verse. Then switch. See who says the most verses correctly.
*Use the cards with two or more people. Have one person hold up the reference side while others race to see who can recite the verse first. That person gets the card. After all cards are done, person with the most cards wins and gets to hold up cards for the others on the next round.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Adult readers - DAILY DEVOTIONS FOR ADULTS are available too at Other Food: daily devo's.