TODAY'S SPECIAL: Read Genesis 11:1-9
TO CHEW ON: "Then they said, 'Come let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.'” Genesis 11:4
God was displeased with the people’s plan to build a tower. It wasn’t so much the building which displeased Him, but the attitude it showed. This tower plan showed pride. It was as if these people were saying, “Making this tower will prove we humans can do anything we are determined to do.”
God stopped the project. Which method did He use?
1. Sent an earthquake
2. Sent a plague of sickness
3. Confused the languages so people could no longer understand each other.
4. Caused the workers to go on strike.
In this way God reminded people of their human limits. We humans may be creative and ambitious and energetic and determined. But this story reminds us that God is greater than any human scheme or idea. If something is against His plan, He can shut it down in an instant.
PRAYER: Dear God, I want to honor and serve You with my life—not human pride and ambition. Amen
MORE: Modern Babel
After years of trying, there are still some human goals people have not been able to reach. Some are:
1. Explore all of space.
2. Create life.
3. Keep people from dying.
4. Stamp out disease.
- Pick one of the human goals that interests you, above, or name another.
- Find out from books, magazines and the internet some of the steps made to reach that goal.
- What do you think—will people someday achieve it? Explain why you think as you do.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.