TO CHEW ON: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15
Would it be possible to be a bank teller without knowing how to do math and use a computer? Could you be a gardener without knowing about plants. What about being a doctor without knowing about the human body, diseases, and medicines?
To do a job well, you have to learn about your job or business.
Once someone is trained to do a job, they have to be willing to do the hard things in their job.
- If a person is an athlete, she has to keep her body fit and play by the rules of the sport.
- If a person is a nurse, he has to be prepared to work with sick people, give needles, and sometimes work the night shift.
- Someone who is a teacher has to be willing to prepare lessons and mark homework.
Being a worker for Jesus means training and hard work too. And no matter what other jobs we do, if we are Jesus’ followers, we are His workers as well. Which things below might be training for this job? Can you think of more?
1. Memorize Bible verses.
2. Spend a lot of time shopping at the mall.
3. Help out in Sunday School.
4. Work on the committee of your youth group.
5. Watch TV every chance you get.
6. Have a time every day when you read your Bible and pray.
7. Learn how to introduce someone to Jesus.
PRAYER: Dear God, please help me be a good worker for You, so when I see You, I will not be ashamed. Amen.
SUPERSIZE IT: Your Dream Job
- What job would you like to do someday?
- What training do you need for this job?
- What would a day of work be like for a person in this job? (If you don’t know, how could you find out?)