TO CHEW ON: "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
Think about some of the ways you show faith every day.
- If you jump from the third step, you have faith that you will land, not on the ceiling or against the wall, but on the floor.
- If you plug in an iron and turn it on, you don’t touch the bottom, because you have faith that it will be hot.
- If the light turns green in traffic, your mom drives through the intersection with faith that the people who would be coming across your path will have a red light and will stop.
In the same way that we have faith in invisible things like gravity, electricity, and people, God wants us to have faith in Him. In order to please God, what two things must we believe? (Hebrews 11:6):
If we have faith in God, we will show it by doing the things He tells us to. Hebrews 11 names some people who had faith. They proved it by what they did. Match each person with the faith act he did (check the references if you’re not sure):
1) Abel a) built an ark on dry land (Genesis 6:9-22) 2) Enoch b) left his home and went where God led him. (Genesis 12:1-4) 3) Noah c) walked with God beyond this life. (Genesis 5:24) 4) Abram d) pleased God by making an animal sacrifice.(Genesis 4:3-7)
PRAYER: Dear God, I believe You exist and will show Yourself to me as I seek You. Help me to prove my faith be being obedient. Amen
MORE: Faith in Action
- Would you say you have faith in God?
- What faith act is God asking you to do?
- How can you prove your faith in God is real?
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.