TO CHEW ON: "Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." Romans 12:4,5
Think of all the parts of your body needed for you to do common things like seeing, hearing, smelling, walking, talking. Take smelling for example.
- To smell something you need your heart and lungs to be working and your blood to be pumping so you can breathe.
- When the air enters your nose you need the smell sensors deep inside to pick up the smell molecules from the air.
- Those sensors send the message down nerve pathways from your nose to your brain.
- When the smell message gets to your brain , your brain has to figure out what you’re smelling.
- Then you need more nerve pathways to send messages to your legs and arms, to tell them if you should run away because your house is on fire, or to come for dinner because you’re smelling food cooking.
It’s a good thing the hidden-away parts of our bodies, like our hearts and lungs, don’t get jealous of our public parts, like our nose and feet, and decide to quit working because nobody is noticing them.
Each person who is a Christian is part of Jesus’ body on earth, the church. Our bodies need many parts working together to get a job done, and so does the church. If you are doing a small, hidden job for Jesus, don’t feel you’re unimportant. You are as necessary as someone who sings solos or has the main part in the play.
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, help me to be willing to serve You in hidden or public ways. Amen.
In Romans 12:6-8 Paul tells us God gives people different abilities and strengths, called "gifts," to help them serve in Christ’s body.
Can you find the seven gifts Paul mentions?
1. _______________ 2. ______________ 3. _______________ 4. ________________ 5. _______________ 6. ______________ 7. _______________
What do you think your gift is?
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.