TO CHEW ON: "The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." I Corinthians 15:42b-44
Have you ever planted a garden? If you have, you know the seeds you plant don’t look anything like the plants that grow from them. This, Paul says, is a picture of how different our new heavenly body will be from our earthly body.
Just as Jesus was raised from the dead, so we will also live again. But when we rise, we will have new bodies. What will our new bodies be like? Will people recognize us? Will we have powers we don’t have now?
We don’t know the answers to these questions. But the Bible tells us some things about our new body.
Unscramble the words from 1 Corinthians 15:42-44 that tell what our new body will be like.
1.It will be (amesliprihbe) _______________ (it won’t grow old, weak or sick).
It will be raised in 2. (orgyl) ________________ and 3.(orpwe) ______________.
It will be a 4. (slrtuapii) _______________ body.
PRAYER: Dear God, thank You I can look forward to a new resurrected body which will never wear out, be sick or die. Amen.
MORE: Seed Quiz Game:
How well do you and your friends know what the seeds of some common plants look like? Play this game and find out:
You will need:
- packets of familiar vegetable or flower seeds
- clear disposable cups - one cup for each type of seed
- cello tape
- 1 large paper and small papers - 1 per person
- marker & pencil for each person
What to do:
1. Empty seeds from each packet into a cup (one cup for each type of seed).
2. Put 1 seed of each kind onto the sticky side of a piece of cello tape. Stick it onto the back of the emptied seed package from which it came.
3. Tape the tops of seed packets in rows onto the large piece of paper (picture side showing, seed not showing, so the packets can be flipped up to check answers later).
4. Number each packet (1, 2,3..) with the marker.
5. Scramble the see-through cups so they are not in the same order as the seed packets from which they came.
6. Number each cup with the marker.
Play the game:
1. Give each player a piece of paper and pencil. Have each player list the number and name of each plant e.g. 1. Carrot; 2. Cucumber etc.
2. Beside each plant name, put the number of the cup you think has seeds for that plant.
3. When everyone is done, flip over the seed packets, place the cup that has the matching seeds beside the packet, and check your answers.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.