TODAY’S SPECIAL: 2 Corinthians 4:6-12
TO CHEW ON: "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 2 Corinthians 4:7
Which would you choose?
- a book with a torn paper cover or one with a mint-condition hard cover?
- chocolates in a plastic bag or packed in a fancy box?
- perfume in a plastic spray bottle or a crystal glass bottle?
- a gift wrapped in newspaper or one wrapped in tissue and a bag?
No one would be surprised if you chose the second thing in every case. Even in small things, we tend to look at containers and choose the prettiest and richest-looking.
In Paul’s time, clay jars were the plain everyday jars people used in their kitchens. There was nothing special to make people choose them. But they were important in the kitchen because of the water, juice or milk inside them.
That’s how God looks at us. He doesn’t care whether we’re plain or good-looking, what talents we have, or what family we come from. Instead He puts the treasure of knowing God through Jesus inside us no matter what we look like or where we’ve come from. Then, when what is inside us spills out in glory and power, He gets all the credit.
PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to know Jesus and become like Him so His good things will flow from my life. Amen.
MORE: Pinch Pot Craft
You can make a simple clay pot of your own.
You will need:
- potter’s clay (can be bought at art stores - or use plasticine or play dough)
- paints and brushes.
What to do:
1. Cut or break off a piece of clay and roll into a 2 to 3-inch ball.
2. Push your thumb into the center of the ball.
3. Using your thumbs and fingers, pinch up the walls of your pot. Turn the pot as you pinch.
4. Pat the bottom of your pot on the table to give it a flat bottom.
5. Let it dry.
6. Paint it. (Unless it is glazed and fired, your finished pot will not be able to hold water).
For step-by-step instructions with pictures, go here.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.