TO CHEW ON: “'Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.'” - Jesus, John 13:21
- Your brother promises to wait for you after school, but then walks home without you.
- You tell your best friend a secret and ask her not to tell anyone. But the next day you find that five people in your class know your secret.
- Your baseball team has its own signals. One day you play a team that knows exactly what each of your signals means.
You have been betrayed! Whether betrayal comes from someone disappointing you, telling your secrets or helping your enemy, being betrayed is not fun.
1. Who was the traitor? (John 18:1-6)
2. How did he betray Jesus: (Mark 14:43-46)
a)____ He spread bad stories about Jesus all around town.
b)____ He lost the money bag he was in charge of.
c)____ He kissed Jesus to show the soldiers which person to arrest.
a)____ to fulfill the Scripture
b)____ to help Judas get more money.
c)____ to show that Satan was more powerful than God.
I’m sure this betrayal by a friend hurt Jesus as much as being betrayed by our friends hurts us. But even this bad thing worked out to be good – for Jesus, and for us. It was one of the steps that led toward Jesus being killed. But that death and what happened later makes it possible for you and me to be friends with God now.
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, thank You for taking this betrayal for me. Help me not to be a person who betrays others. Amen
- Have you ever betrayed someone? Who? What did you do?
- Has someone every betrayed you? Who was the traitor? What did they do?
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.