TODAY’S SPECIAL: 2 Chronicles 21:12-20
TO CHEW ON: "Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he became king and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years. He passed away to no one’s regret...." 2 Chronicles 21:20
One of the first things Jehoram did when he became king was kill all his brothers! This oldest son of Jehosphaphat did that so no one would try to become king instead of him. Next he married the daughter of evil King Ahab. Finally, he again started worshiping idols instead of God.
Prophet Elijah from Israel sent him a letter. “Because you are doing so many bad things, God will be against everything that is yours. You yourself will get sick and die.”
And that’s what happened. The Philistines and other hostile neighbors raided Judah and left with beautiful things from the palace. They kidnapped Jehoram’s sons and wives. Then Jehoram got sick. Only eight years after becoming king, he died of a painful disease.
1. If he was 32 years old when he became king and reigned for eight years, how old was he when he died? _______
2. Would you say he was an old man? ______
3. Was anyone sad when he died? (2 Chronicles 21:20) _______
Our lives don’t have to be long for us to make a difference – for bad or good. Decide to live each day of your life well.
PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to live in a way that pleases You. Help me to please You today. Amen.
SUPERSIZE IT: Your Epitaph
When Jehoram died, no one felt sorry. What a sad way to be remembered.
We can discover the impressions people have left when we read the sayings (epitaphs) on head stones or grave markers in a cemetery.
1. Take a trip to a cemetery and write a list of epitaphs.
2. Write an epitaph for Jehoram’s headstone ____________
3. What would you want as your epitaph? ______________
Adult readers - DAILY DEVOTIONS FOR ADULTS are available too at Other Food: daily devo's.